Building a DLLPureBasic allows to create standard Microsoft Windows DLL (Dynamic Linked Library), shared objects (.so) on Linux, and dynamic libraries (.dylib) on MacOS X. The DLL code is like a PureBasic code excepts than no real code should be written outside of procedure.
ProcedureDLL MyFunction() MessageRequester("Hello", "This is a PureBasic DLL !", 0) EndProcedure ; Now the client program, which use the DLL ; If OpenLibrary(0, "PureBasic.dll") CallFunction(0, "MyFunction") CloseLibrary(0) EndIfFor advanced programmers: there is 4 special procedures which are called automatically by Windows when one of the following events happen:
- DLL is attached to a new process
- DLL is detached from a process
- DLL is attached to a new thread
- DLL is detached from a thread
To handle that, it's possible to declare 4 special procedures called: AttachProcess(Instance), DetachProcess(Instance), AttachThread(Instance) and DetachThread(Instance). This means these 4 procedures names are reserved and can't be used by the programmer for other purposes.
Notes about creating DLL's:
- The declaration of arrays, lists or map with Dim, NewList or NewMap must always be done inside the procedure AttachProcess.
- Don't write program code outside procedures. The only exception is the declaration of variables or structures.
- DirectX initialization routines must not be written in the AttachProcess procedure.
Note about returning strings from DLL's:
If you want to return a string out of a DLL, the string has to be declared as Global before using it.
Global ReturnString$ ProcedureDLL.s MyFunction(var.s) ReturnString$ = var + " test" ProcedureReturn ReturnString$ EndProcedureWithout declaring it as Global first, the string is local to the ProcedureDLL and can't be accessed from outside.
When using CallFunction() (or one of its similar CallXXX functions) on a DLL function you will get a pointer on the return string, which you could read with PeekS().
String.s = PeekS(CallFunction(0, "FunctionName", Parameter1, Parameter2))Here a complete code example: