the first public beta version of the upcoming PureBasic version is available for download on your download account.
Some notable new features include:
A new JSON library including functions to serialize complex data structures directly from PB code to JSON and back. The same functionality has also been added to the XML library.
New functions for the 3D engine.
The IDE and debugger are now full unicode programs
Improvements for the IDE such as a "plain-text" editing mode, the highlighting of repeated occurrences of the current selection, a new 'Issues' tool to track TODOs in the source code and more.
A new /PREPROCESS compiler flag which will generate a PB code with all compiler directives and macros resolved.
... and much more!
The english documentation is already up to date for the new features, so you can find a description and examples there.
This version also includes some changes that may break compatibility with existing code:
The (X)IncludeFile and IncludeBinary have changed their behavior for relative paths.
The #PB_Event_SizeWindow and #PB_Event_MoveWindow events are no longer reported in realtime in the main event loop. This is to reduce problems with flickering on resize. To get realtime events you have to use the BindEvent() function and a callback in the future.
CreateXMLNode() has a new mandatory parameter.
This is regular release which means it brings new features and will have the regular support cycle. The 5.2x LTS release will continue to be maintained and a 5.23 LTS release is planned for shortly after this release becomes final.
As usual, please test the beta release(s) as much as you can and report any problems you have so we can have a stable final release. Please pay particular attention to problems/weird behavior in the IDE since converting it into a unicode application was quite a big change.
Here is the full list of changes:
- Added: New "Issue" tool for IDE to build todo/issue lists easily from comments.
- Added: JSON library
- Added: ParseXML(), ComposeXML(), InsertXMLArray/List/Map/Structure(), ExtractXMLArray/List/Map/Structure() to XML lib
- Added: OpenGLGadget() with native opengl commands ande constants support for Windows, OSX and Linux
- Added: ExamineRegularExpression() and related commands to process regex matches step by step (with group support)
- Added: ClipOutput(), UnclipOutput(), SetOrigin(), GetOriginX(), GetOriginY()
- Added: GetWindowData(), SetWindowData()
- Added: AllocateStructure(), FreeStructure()
- Added: #PB_Default support to WindowsBound() to reset min/max size
- Added: 'Format' parameter to Read/WriteProgramString(), WriteProgramStringN() and ReadProgramError()
- Added: /PREPROCESS compiler flag to create a big single source with all macros, compilerif and file include resolved. Can be combined with /COMMENTED to get the original source with comments as well.
- Added: optional '#Server' parameter to NetworkServerEvent() to check events only on a specific server
- Added: #PB_String_NoZero flag support to PokeS() to avoid writting the ending null character
- Added: #PB_Enumeration support for Defined()
- Added: Optional 'Type' parameter to CreateBillboardGroup()
- Added: BillboardGroupCommonDirection(), BillboardGroupCommonUpVector()
- Added: #PB_Entity_MinVelocity and #PB_Entity_ForceVelocity to SetEntityAttribute()
- Added: SetMaterialAttribute() with #PB_Material_DepthCheck and #PB_Material_DepthWrite constants
- Added: #PB_Material_DepthCheck support for GetMaterialAttribute().
- Added: Engine3DStatus() with these constants: #PB_Engine3D_NbRenderedTriangles, #PB_Engine3D_NbRenderedBatches
#PB_Engine3D_CurrentFPS, #PB_Engine3D_MaximumFPS, #PB_Engine3D_MinimumFPS, #PB_Engine3D_AverageFPS, #PB_Engine3D_ResetFPS
- Added: #PB_Absolute / #PB_Relative support to CameraDirectionX/Y/Z(), CameraX/Y/Z(), EntityX/Y/Z(), LightX/Y/Z(), LightDirectionX/Y/Z()
BillBoardGroupX/Y/Z(), NodeX/Y/Z(), ParticleEmitterX/Y/Z() and FetchOrientation()
- Added: ParticleSpeedFactor(), DisableParticleEmitter()
- Added: GetEntityCollisionMask(), GetEntityCollisionGroup(), SetEntityCollisionFilter()
- Added: WaterHeight(), FreeWater()
- Added: Fully unicode IDE
- Added: Highlighting of repeated occurrences of the currently selected word in the IDE
- Added: Plain-text editing mode to edit non-PB files in the IDE
- Added: 'Issues' IDE tool to collect and display TODO/FIXME markers inside the code
- Added: Ctrl+E and Ctrl+Shift+E shortcut to align/shift comments in a selected code block
- Added: Ctrl+M and Ctrl+Shift+M shortcut to select the current code block (repeated presses select the next code block)
- Added: PopupMenu to IDE error log for clear/copy operation
- Added: %HOME and %PROJECT to IDE tool commandline options, added PB_TOOL_Project to available env vars
- Added: Automatic code indentation can align comments at the end of code lines in the IDE
- Added: AutoComplete remembers last selection for Structure/Module AutoComplete
- Added: Context sensitivity for current module/procedure for variable display and expression eval in the debugger
- Changed: FormatXML() with #PB_XML_ReFormat no longer adds newlines inside single-line elements for a more readable output
- Changed: DeleteElement() now returns the data pointer to the new current element (if any)
- Changed: SetXMLAttribute() to accept newline characters in attributes (will be encoded as character entities)
- Changed: Added a mandatory "name" parameter to CreateXMLNode() as some parser needs it at node creation time
- Changed: The way (X)IncludeFile and IncludeBinary works: it's now relative to the file which contains these statements (which is easier to handle)
- Changed: #PB_Event_SizeWindow and #PB_Event_MoveWindow are no more realtime on Windows, use BindEvent() to get real time update. It should fixes ugly flickering when realtime resizing on Windows.
- Changed: DataSection label within Procedure are now local labels.
- Changed: ASM local label prefix has been changed from "l_" to "ll_" ("ll" for local label), to avoid possible clash with main labels.
- Changed: #PB_LinkedList constant has been renamed to #PB_List for better consistancy
- Changed: Removed the "Billboard" parameter from AddBillboard() as it was not used. Now returns the new billboard index.
- Changed: Updated Scintilla to version 3.4.2
- Removed: MaterialDepthWrite() (replaced by SetMaterialAttribute())
- Removed: CountRenderedTriangles() and Engine3DFrameRate(), replaced by Engine3DStatus()
Have fun with this version, and please report all problems in the bugs forum.
The PureBasic Team